The M8 boasts a wide array of inputs, meeting the needs of traditional and modern home entertainment systems. It offers a low-noise MM/MC phono stage; two balanced inputs (one with home theatre bypass option); three line inputs (one with home theatre bypass option) and a fully configured tape in/out loop.
Its outputs are single-ended and balanced, and there is also a trigger control.
Technical measurements are testament to the M8's exceptional engineering: from ultra-low distortion to virtually perfect frequency response, the science supports what your ears will also clearly hear.
We're so confident of the M8's capabilities that we state it will drive any power amplifier over any length of cable. Though obviously its perfect partner is the matching M8-700 monobloc pairing...
The first exceptional element of the M8 pre-amplifier is its truly fully balanced design. Most rival pre-amps making similar claims are actually single-ended models with a balanced input and output; this is not the same as being fully balanced throughout, which the M8 offers.
The quality continues with the M8 pre-amplifier's pure Class A circuitry, implemented in subtle and refined configurations.
The M8 is designed with very high input overload margins. High input impedance plus low output impedance puts the M8 in the position of itself being easy to drive, while having the capability to drive any power amp.
Let's run through those input options in more detail.
- The phono stage is a low-noise MM/MC design, with very accurate RIAA, low distortion and wide overload margin – all making the M8 a great turntable partner.
- Two fully balanced inputs, three line-level inputs and a fully configured tape loop (input and output) provide plenty of flexibility for further sources, both traditional and modern.
- Home theatre bypass options are available on one set of both balanced and line-level inputs, making it easy to integrate the M8 into a one-stop music and movie system.
- The M8's high-tech design translates into an exceptional performance that can be scientifically measured. Technical analysis shows the M8 has miniscule distortion levels (less than 0.003%), extremely low noise (-117dbA), wide bandwidth (-3dB 75kHz) and remarkable frequency response – ruler-flat within the audio band. Stereo separation is 96dB at 1KHz.
- Finally, the M8 pre-amp also features an exceptional power supply. Each channel has a 350VA, silent-drive mains transformer, with each stage of each channel featuring its own regulation circuitry for optimised performance and isolation. Current delivery is maximised due to the power supply's ultra-low impedance design.